Some fun things to notice and do this month...I'm a bit late with this, so we've already done some of the things, but we have a lot more to look forward to. October and November are my favorite months of the year!
Special Dates to Celebrate
*October 5th ~ The Full Harvest Moon*
There is just something so special about that October full moon, and I always make a point of noticing it and trying to point it out to the kids.
*October 31st ~ Halloween*
Our Halloween traditions are changing a bit as the kids get older, but we still have one trick-or-treater this year, which I am grateful for! The older three enjoy handing out candy and I gift them with a little treat basket of their own when we are done making the rounds. I like to plan a fun activity or two for this day and keep it light school-wise. This year, we plan to make monster slime and spooky lava lamps. I like to have something Halloween-themed for dinner on the big night ~ this year I am thinking about spider pizza. On the Sunday after Halloween, we make monster pancakes (pancakes decorated with candy faces) to use up some of that candy.
Things to Notice & Do This Month
- Dry cornstalks in fields along the roads ~ with so many crows
- Pumpkins everywhere
- Chrysanthemums for the front porch, to go with the pumpkins
- Stock up on cranberries when they appear at the grocery store
- Watch for the first birds to return ~ although we can't hang the feeders till well into next month due to bears!
- Watch for woolly bear caterpillars
- Enjoy the foliage
- Watch for that first frost
- Pumpkin everything ~ especially quick bread and muffins
- Go apple picking and make an apple crisp
- Make Halloween treats all month long ~ my picks for this month are linked below!
- Make caramel apples
- Switch to flannel sheets on the beds
- Get the fall clothes out; pack summer outfits away
- Put up storm windows and doors
- Get out the Halloween books
- Start Christmas shopping
- Purchase & stack firewood
- Watch Halloween-ish movies, like The Addams Family, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and Hotel Transylvania
- Carve pumpkins
- Go trick or treating
- Make pumpkin croissants ~ we made this recipe last week and they were fabulous!
Crafts and Treats to Make
A few things I'd love to do with the kids this month