A List of Twelve Fun Ideas for October
1. Go apple picking and make an apple pie. *We did it!*
2. Make cider donuts. I like this recipe, because I prefer to bake donuts.
3. Carve jack-o-lanterns and roast the seeds. *We did it!*
4. Plan costumes and go trick-or-treating! Grace says she's too old to trick-or-treat, so we will be making her up a somewhat-orthodontist-approved treat basket. *Costumes planned*
5. Drink lots of apple cider. Can't get enough of it. Ever. *I can't call this "done", but it's ongoing*
6. Make jar luminaries and/or pine cone spiders for Halloween. *We did it!*
7. Read fall themed books with Rose. She loves anything Halloween, but my personal favorite is The Ox-Cart Man. *Another ongoing one:)*
8. Make pumpkin soup. We like the apple and bacon variation here (it's number two on the list). *We did it!*
9. Try a corn maze. We have never done this for some reason. *We did it!*
10. Take one last trip to the beach on a warm fall day. Or a cold one. Either way. I need to see the ocean.*We did it!*
11. Do our lessons outside every chance we get! *If doing lessons on the sunporch counts, we did it!*
12. Make some Halloween footprint art with Rose-because it might be the last year I can get away with it. *We did it!*
You can see we are a bit food-obsessed around here, but that's how we roll. I have a bunch of other stuff bookmarked too, like a pumpkin sugar scrub, witch hat cookies, and pumpkin silhouettes, just in case, but I did want a relatively short "master list" to choose from. I am very much a planner, but I don't always follow through with my plans. So I am going to ink in 2-3 of these ideas when I write up our weekly plans. Then, we are going to make them happen.
I am getting a bit nostalgic lately for my kids' childhoods, even though they are still children. But there are just a few years left for my older ones to make those childhood memories with us after all, and only a relatively short time left of having kids we can refer to as "little". We are already past the baby/toddler/preschool ages for good, and it makes me teary just thinking about it!
So I am thinking we need to make those memories, now.....lots of them.... along with lots of photos....come laziness, bad weather, or getting behind in school work.